I’ve been so busy with tests and school, so I apologize for not posting consistently… but I will definitely put a few posts up before leaving for school again. Being home from school feels like such a holiday itself! A few of the favorite things I missed the most are being able to bake and always having fresh fruit around the house, OR being able to drive and get healthy fruit and veggies!
Now that it’s almost time for the holiday, I get to start baking and fixing up yummy eats! I like to indulge on holidays with treats, but holidays always have tons of healthy options like veggie trays and fruit trays. I’ve decided to try out a couple new things ahead of time to see if I like them; like sweet potato quinoa stuffing and skinny pumpkin bars and they turned out great. A couple of my favorite snacks will be made too: chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate covered pretzels and oatmeal raisin cookies are always my go-to indulgences!
Here are a couple of the recipes, I will post the skinny pumpkin bars tomorrow just incase you’re still in search for ideas!
Quinoa Sweet Potato Dried Cranberries Stuffing
• 1/2 cup red quinoa
• 1/2 cup original quinoa (white)
• 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
• 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 2 teaspoons of cumin
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries
• 1/4 cup pecans, toasted
• 3 tablespoons of parsley, chopped
• salt + pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, add 1 + 1/2 cups water, quinoa [total 1 cup], season with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes, until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover baking sheet with foil, spray with non-stick, add sweet potatoes, onions and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, toss to coat. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until soft.
- Combine sweet potatoes and onions with cooked quinoa. Drizzle with olive oil [optional]. Stir in cumin, cranberries, toasted pecans and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries: Thanksgiving Day Style
-Strawberries (I get big packs from Costco)
-Chocolate Morsels, any flavor
-Party City has orange chocolate if you want to be really festive!
1. Pour Chocolate morsels into a bowl along with a little drizzle of oil
(the oil is key to keep the chocolate from getting hard when dipping things into it)
2.Microwave for 30 second intervals until it has a smooth consistency when stirred
3. Dip strawberries into chocolate and sprinkle as you desire.
4. Put them in fridge until the chocolate hardens and enjoy!
**In December: look forward to FREE healthy giveaways! (my favorite healthy snacks). You will be able to enter this giveaway by commenting on my blog starting in december. The winner will be chosen on December 21st. Come back later to check it out!! Follow me on twitter @healthadvocatio to be notified quickly!
**Tomorrow – I will be posting a fitness post and a couple more holiday recipes🙂